Sunday, May 3, 2009

Serving the Community; Serving the Birds

Yesterday I went to an orientation to become a volunteer and participate in a bird survey for the city where I live!
 
I thought it was going to be more recreational but it's going to be pretty scientific in that we will be partnered up, assigned an area, and have to collect data in a very specific manner.
 
So I won't be the audio/visual person so much on my team but the one writing down the data. The data will be used by the city to track the local bird populations, and in doing so, help the city to maintain the areas as bird friendly natural habitats.
 
This is the first bird survey the city has done so I am excited to be a part of it. I am especially happy to be helping the birds out as so much of our natural habitat areas are dwindling, affecting the bird population and their migrating patterns. Oregon is pretty conscious about not letting go of of the land for development.
 
I'll keep you posted as it gets underway and hopefully will see a few birds I've never seen before!

1 comment:

David R. Lindquist said...

Good for you!! I think you'll be surprised how fast you pick up new species. I hope your principal observer knows the songs and can teach them patiently. I had such a mentor who impressed on my how more birds can be heard than seen. Do keep us updated.
-David, in Cary NC