Sunday, June 14, 2009

The $3 Squirrel Deterrent


I had read about using a slinky toy on a bird feeder pole to deter quite some time ago but really didn't think it would work. After all, nothing else can keep the squirrels away from the feeders! I even tried greasing the pole with petroleum jelly but that was a mess, and didn't last long in the heat.

However, my space for feeders is limited and the squirrels were taking over so I decided to give it a shot.

IT WORKS!! The second they touch it they back off! I haven't seen a squirrel on the feeders for a week now so seed is lasting longer for the birds (and saving me money). I do throw out some peanuts and sunflower seeds on the ground (and in the lowest feeding tray) for the squirrels because I do enjoy watching them; I just wanted to the birds to be able to get to their feeders!

Such a simple fix! It doesn't look too bad either; at least it's something I can live with.

Now we can all live in harmony...

No comments: